“A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it out of you.”
The mentorship program was created to guide members who are new to the property management industry and would benefit from mentorship. The sustainable success of any industry relies upon leveraging and sharing the invaluable wealth of knowledge of seasoned professionals with new members of the industry. The intent of the program is to match members who have less than five years of experience with seasoned, well-experienced property management professionals.
Why Have a Mentorship Program?
- Increase job retention
- Give support to young professionals.
- Pass on valuable knowledge to the next generation of commercial real estate leaders.
- Provide a sounding board and professional advice
- Promote individual learning and growth
- Provide insight and guidance
Mentors may either be current or recently retired employees of a BOMA Greater Minneapolis member company. The mentee program is available to BOMA Greater Minneapolis members who have less than five years of experience in commercial property management.
Keys to Success
- Confidentiality – there must be a level of trust between the mentor and mentee. This is based upon mutual trust and a commitment to maintaining confidentiality of the topics discussed.
- Commitment from the mentor and mentee to set aside the minimum amount of time required for the sessions and give one another their full attention.
- When a mentee has clear and concise objectives, i.e. “I would like to be promoted to a senior property management position within five years.”
- Establishing what the mentee wants to gain from the program at the Introductory Session.
- Mentors who have a desire to help others.
- Mutual respect – providing each other with a reasonable amount of notice if a session must be canceled and rescheduling the session quickly.
- Understanding and maintaining professional boundaries
How to Get Involved
Please click the buttons below to fill out the Mentor or Mentee Application. Encourage your coworkers and others within the industry to participate as either a mentor or a mentee.